I’m an Associate Professor in the Department of Communication at University of Connecticut, where I'm part of the Human-Computer Interaction Lab. I'm also a faculty affiliate of the Institute for Collaboration on Health, Intervention, and Policy (inCHIP), the Connecticut Institute for Brain and Cognitive Science (IBACS), and the Sustainable Global Cities Initiative (SGCI).
My research focuses on information sharing as communication on social media. Specifically, I investigate the effects of using social media to engage with news content, share health activities, disclose personal information, ask questions, seek social support, and how scientists can use these platforms to engage with the public.
- Funding received to study climate change misinfo on social mediaOur team (collaborators Mike Schmierbach, Penn State; Alyssa Appelman, Northern Kentucky University; Mike Boyle, West Chester University) has received $4,000 from the Penn State summer news literacy fund to develop misinformation interventions about climate change on social media this summer, which will be tested in future research.Posted on April 19, 2022
- New science communication publicationCapers, R. S., Oeldorf-Hirsch, A., Wyss, R., Burgio, K. R., & Rubega, M. A. (2022). What did they learn? Objective assessment tools show mixed effects of training on science communication behaviors. Frontiers in Communication, 6(February), 1–11. https://doi.org/10.3389/fcomm.2021.805630Posted on February 1, 2022
- Fulbright in Communication panel accepted to ICAPerreault, G., Pearce, K. E., Bowman, N. D., Oeldorf-Hirsch, A., Kranstuber Horstman, H., Kingsley Westerman, C., Freiling, I., Dubois, E., Kaur, S., Dorrance Hall, E., Denes, A., Baykurt, B., Wirz, D. S., Bowe, B. J., Henrichsen, J., Friedlander, J., & Goodwin, C. (2022, May). The Fulbright experience in communication. Blue Sky panel to be presented […]Posted on January 14, 2022
- Student-led paper accepted to most competitive ICA to date!Chen, Y. & Oeldorf-Hirsch, A. (2022, May). A bargain of agency and happiness in mobile phone use? Agentic mobile regulation for subjective well-being. Paper presented at the 72nd annual conference of the International Communication Association (ICA), Paris, France.Posted on January 12, 2022
- Chapter in new bookOeldorf-Hirsch, A. (2021). The role of engagement in learning from active and incidental news exposure on social media. In F. Shen (Ed.), Social media news and its impact. New York: Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/Social-Media-News-and-Its-Impact/Shen/p/book/9781032016856Posted on January 7, 2022